About Dr Tan
Dr Jerry Tan
MBBS (S'pore), FRCS (Edin), FRCOphth (UK), FAMS
Consultant Eye Surgeon
Dr Tan graduated as a doctor from the National University of Singapore in 1981. After 2 1/2 years of military service, he started his ophthalmic training in Singapore under a Singapore government scholarship.
Dr Tan completed the final year of his ophthalmic residency at Moorfields' Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom in 1986 and obtained his FRCS in the same year. He returned to Singapore in 1987 and was promoted to Senior Registrar.
In 1990, he was sent to USA on another Singapore government scholarship for a one-year fellowship in Cornea and External Eye Disease. He studied under Professor Richard Abbott at the California Pacific Medical Center, Pacific Presbyterian Hospital. Professor Abbott now holds the chair in Refractive Surgery at University of California, San Francisco.
Dr Tan has been Cataract - Corneal Transplant - LASIK. His refractive surgery experience is:
- Radial Keratotomy since 1988
- Photorefractive keratectomy since 1990
- Wedge resection since 1990
- Standard LASIK since May 1996
- Topographic LASIK since 1997
- Wavefront Guided LASIK since Dec 2001
- LASEK since 2002
- Crystalens Accommodative IOL since 2002
- Aspheric / Q-adjusted LASIK since 2003
- Intralase LASIK since 2004
- PerfectShape™ LASIK since 2005
- ICL (Implantable Collamer® Lens) since 2006
- Photorefractive keratectomy with Crosslinking (C3R) since 2008
He has been presently in private practice for the past 16 years after working 11 years in public service at the Singapore General Hospital, Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Singapore National Eye Centre. His main forte is in cornea, external eye disease, cataract lenses and refractive surgery
He was on the editorial board of the journal "Operative Techniques in Cataract & Refractive Surgery - W.B. Saunders Company". He also contributed chapters to international ophthalmic textbooks on LASIK surgery. He is now a consultant for Alcon USA and Schwind Eye-Tech-Solutions.